Monday, May 3, 2010

You are what you EAT

Blogging again,



We are what we eat and most of us I know get into health food to get ourselves healthy. We read labels and cut out Junk. I am surprised that given that we love our furry kids so much but forget to give them similar consideration. At least I know I am guilty of that.

We got Angel as a 6 week old pup and of course as she was barely weaned the Vet suggested some wet puppy formula kinda food and after that Vet recommended us to give Purina and as she gew up into young adut we were recommended to either try Hill's science diet or Purina. Given that medical experts were suggesting these, I never thought twice about it.

My dog, as most dogs do, ate almost anything. We thought we were being so smart by giving her occassional fruit or veggie treat. So recently she started having some joint issues and one thing led to another and I started reading about everything that goes in dog food (both dry and wet) and all kind of junk we are actually feeding our dogs and a lot of stuff that is actually harmful to them. Didn't know that Corn doesn't suit most dogs and still is major component of dog food. Also most f grain heavy dog foods do cause joint and weight issue.

I switched my dog to Grain free and meat heavy food. My main aim was hopefully benefit to her joints. The changes I saw in her were

More energy

Nice healthy, shiny fur

Reduction in shedding (which so far I was thinking was part and parcel of owning a dog)

She was less stinky

Her poops were well formed and less stinky too

I had to feed smaller amounts to her

She lost weight (yes she needed to lose)

And her joints are a lot better

I have now become a dog-food label reader. I won't even take treats for her without going through the label.

Bottom line, like us dogs are what they eat. If we feed them junk, expect them to have effect like obesity and theragy - side effects of junk food. Feed them good food so that we have out healthy, playful companions for a long time.



Woof woof....wet sloppy kisses ( from Angel and Me)

No comments:

Post a Comment